Here is what we bring and do when we travel with our son on an airplane. This is his second trip, he is 5, but his first plane ride he was 3. We bring a range of activities and things to occupy him. Please note he is very hard to feel out and his interests change rapidly and can range from colouring to dancing so having options is critical.
We pack for him a small backpack to carry on, not too heavy or big, something he can wear, or if we have to carry isn’t a big deal. This trip I added a carabiner to it and snap it onto a suitcase instead of trying to carry it.
We also try and find a seat that is out-of-the-way so he can make himself comfortable and a window to watch the plane is a good idea.
So what is in the bag:
- Sticker books
- New crayons
- Magnetic scene creator (this one was Calliou)
- Colouring pages…Disney and Lego (taken from web sites)
- blank paper for drawing
- small notebook for writing
- Lego magazines
- stuffed animal
- playing cards (Old Maid, Go Fish)
- Headphones (for the airplane and the iPod)
Not in the bag but for him in my wife’s carry on:
- iPod with kids shows loaded on.
- his small inexpensive digital camera
This was a cute picture of him trying to familiarize himself with the plane and the emegency exits, enjoying a snack and watching the inflight entertainment system.